Apr 21, 2002

So I said I wouldnt be here, but here I am. Kate and I ordered take away from the Raj Mahal and said we'd be back in an hour, instead of sitting there for a half hour.
Paris ... didn't quite meet my super high expectations, but I know it could if I went back on a different kind of trip. It was still amazing to be there, and I walked about 45000 miles.
Friday night we went to Deux Beers where they'd put "bye bye miss you American guys" on the board (they play americanpie a lot at the end of the night). John made us redwhite&blue shooters and we all did the ice luge and other crazy shooters. Left late (1145?), and John and Devon were meant to be coming over. We all slumped on the couches and I played music and we made popcorn and they finally came over at 1. We chilled till 215 when almost everyone was near sleep. I was almost too awake, due my excitement for Paris. We said goodbyes, which was sad. John is not only wonderful but terribly fun and chances are we won't see him again, but I do have his email address.
I got up at 530 after almost no sleep since I was afraid I'd miss my alarm. Was actually out on time. Walked to Blackfriars because it's only 8-10 minutes further than Farringdon, so I wouldnt' have to deal with the majority of the circle line. Unfortunately, the circle line wasnt' running, which mean that at 620 a.m. I had to walk & run to Waterloo and some how, amazingly made it there in 15 minutes, on time to check in for my train. It was RIDICULOUS. I don't know how I made it.
I slept most of the way on the train, waking up at random times, including once we'd come out of the Channel tunnel, only to find France enveloped by fog.
When we got to the city, though, it was beautiful. I looked at the metro map, and didn't quite get it and figured I'd walk because it was so nice. It was a long walk to the Louvre, but I made it. IMPei's pyramid was smaller than I thought it would be, but the museum itself was giiiiigantic. Walked through the Tuilleries, to Place de Concorde, down the Champs Elysees to L'Arc de Triompf, down to the Eiffel Tower. It was amazing to be able to do that. It was better than seeing the Rosetta Stone (hehe). I thought about going up, but decided it probably wasn't worth it in the middle of the day so I wrote out some postcards. Was thinking of going to Notre Dame, but realized my feet were getting some blisters so I walked back to the Louvre. Only 5 Euros after 3 p.m., so I went in, and I had about an hour and 15 minutes, so I saw all the stars, like the Mona Lisa and Venus De Milo. Mona was bigger than I thought she'd be, since they always go on about how small it is - I was expecting 8 1/2 x 11 " size, but it was probably 6 times that.
I got a sandwich and a coke (ridiculously expensive) and ate and read outside in the sun. Mmmmmm :)
Today was mostly packing, lounging around, making the thickest pancakes ever, and playing in the park. I tried to fly my kite but it didn't work, but I did impress Kate Mike and Bart with my excellent football throwing skills. It was a beautiful day and now my time is done.
Will write from home.
xoxox

No comments: