Jan 11, 2002

Here I am in London.
I tried to post the other day but the computer wouldn't let me.
I'm at an internet cafe on Leather Lane, less than 10 minutes from home, and only £1/hour.
Things are great. We've been to a few pubs (there are tons), I had my interview at work, orientation at school, bought an alarm clock, went on a Jack the Ripper tour, and tonight we're going to Covent Garden and Leicester Square to poke around. If we stay out late, maybe we'll even take one of those famous black cabs back.
Those red phone booths are all over the place, and I love everything except not seeing the sun, but have been managing with that so far. I'm even getting used to them driving on the other side of the road. Their big joke here is "we don't drive on the right side, we drive on the correct side. (haaa)
I had my preliminary interview at work yesterday -- WORK IS A 3 MINUTE WALK -- no exageration. It's in this hip building. Up the street, right by work, is an area called Exmouth Market. There are shops and restaruants and a grocer. It's so nice to have so close by.
As for my job, it sounds pretty great! They've got a busy week ahead, so I'll mostly be doing some tutorials for software programs, which he says they have all learned at some point or another. Then I'm going to start doing other things, like scanning stuff, doing research for articles, running out to buy props or magazines for research. They do stuff like in-flight magazines, and little magazines for customers of the electric company, or teens, or for example, they do the magazine for people in the business of blinds and shades. They also do things like websites and logos, and whole package deals, and even orgainzed a conference for CNN/Time Warner, and did all the leaflets, etc. I'll get to go out on photoshoots, and eventually maybe be the designer or one of the designers for a mag project instead of just an all around helper. I think it will be very good though, and I will get to do all sorts of things. Their desks are arranged in pods of 4 or 5 and everyday you pick up y our phone and a bucket of your stuff and pick a new desk. That way, it's very easy to meet everyone, it keeps the office clean, and you interact with new people all the time. It seems pretty cool.
I think that's about it for now. Well, of course it's not, but that's all I can easily put into words.
Things are good.
love you lots!!!

jen

No comments: