Jan 16, 2008

I'm nearly through The United States of Arugala,not sure what I'll read next. I was reading Eat, Pray, Love at the same time but gave it up because TUSA was too tough to put down! Any recs?

Last night's dinner was a boring, we're-tired typical meal of salad, biscuits from a can and tortellini. We were out driving by 2 houses we might tour this weekend and stopped at a grocery store in that area on the way home. The prices were spectaculaly better than our local store, which was great. Tim also found a boxed mix for molten lava cakes that you just make in a muffin/cupcake pan. They are oh-so-bad-for-you but were easy and tasty.

Monday's dinner was more interesting, aided by the fact that I had the day off, watched The Barefoot Contessa, and then looked at her recipes on the Food Network site for ages. I settled on Parmesan Chicken (not at all the same as chicken parmigiana).

Not having a well stocked kitchen I made a few adjustments -- normal salt instead of Kosher, typical Kraft grated Parmesan/Romano blend instead of fresh Parm, margarine instead of butter, lemon juice out of the little lemon-shaped thingy instead of fresh. I was also out of flour so my chicken was improperly dredged in just egg and then the crumb mixture. I also cut down the receipe because I was using only 2 chicken breasts. All that said, it was delicious. I used a baby romaine mix for the salad greens and served olive oil and garlic couscous on the side along with cooked baby carrots. It was a really tasty dinner with the satisfaction of tenderized breaded chicken, cheese and the lemony vinaigrette. My husband didn't like it quite as much as I did but I think he really missed out by eating the salad greens first, and then the chicken. Eating them together it reminded me of a lemon chicken dish but lighter (without the heavy sauce). A+, this is going into my folder of go-to recipes!

No comments: